Sunday, October 27, 2013

Monitoring the Success of a Student

    I feel that technology needs to be integrated into education the same way that it is integrated in the students' lives. By integrating technology in education, we will enable our children to collaborate. There are many technology tools that allow children to connect with others. They can use these tools to work with others within their class or school. Connecting with other classes outside their schools will allow students to explore other cultures, widen their audience and learn from a different point of view.
    An idea to help integrate this process would be to have a laptop for each student. The laptops will remain at the school designated to a specific student for a school year. The grand idea is that the laptops would be able to be linked to my the master computer and I would be able to screen share. Screen share will allow my screen to show up on their laptop share. The students will be able to follow along with the lesson up close rather that be position to look at a board. Each student will have an equal view. The purpose of this process would be to monitor what students look at while doing an in class assignment. I can see where they are struggling. Monitoring the students screen will allow me to know if they are on task.  

3 comments:

  1. You have legitimate reasons to support why you think that each student should have a laptop in school. But I don't quite agree with you because I feel like that this idea may not be a good idea. How can we, as a teacher make sure that every student is always on-task, and not browsing Facebook? Are you going to monitor what they are doing on their computers every minute? Also, I don't see how students can "work with others within their class" if they are only looking at the computers. Actual interactions between students is important. I believe that teachers should not depend too much on technologies because you may experience technical issues at anytime. In reality, this will cost too much money on the school's part. Not every district have the funding to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like where you are going with this post. We would need to work out certain kinks such as keeping the students on task at all times. This really is where the future of education is headed. I think sometime very soon this will be a reality and the truth is if a student wants to be off task they will be whether they have a computer or a piece of paper in front of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it would be beneficial for students to have a computer to use throughout the school year and be responsible for it.
    In many schools where I substitute at the computers are not working, I do not know if the malware is because the students somehow crack the security settings and download plenty of software to be able to play the games that they want to play online, which of course they should not. I would imagine that if they are responsible for that computer nothing would happen.

    I understand what you mean by monitoring the students screen, I only experience that once when I took a graphic design class and the professor was able to see how we where working, although monitoring could be successful initially but I think that the students will always get distracted.

    ReplyDelete