Sunday, October 6, 2013

Digital Photography: Tablets vs Dslr (digital single lens reflect) cameras


I believe tablets are slowing removing desktops in certain schools. In the urban school districts they are behind when it comes to updating computers based on the schools budget. Usually the academy schools that I substitute at have newer computers. Never the less tablets are becoming more affordable and popular. I own a tablet because it allows me to view my emails and pictures. The screen on my tablet is much bigger than my cellphone. In addition you can take pictures on the tablet as well. The picture quality is not the best, but the purpose of taking a picture is to capture the moment.


Tablets and I-pads have influenced photography in a major way because people love taking pictures and making videos. Pictures have always big a popular element to the world. An app called Instagram has been a major player is a technology world. Its a software that you can download on a tablet, I-pad, or phone. The purpose of the software is to take pictures and show it to the people who follow your account. Its a cool app because its simple and fun to use. You can add all this cool filters to your photos as well as make it black and white. People are really into taking pictures and its great for my content area because my students will come into my class with prior knowledge of digital photography.


I have always been a “technologically wiz kid.” I love learning about new technologies or software’s. There was a time when I did not know how to use a computer and my mother had to show me the ropes. I had trouble typing and at the time spell check was not invented yet. Over the years I learned how to type and eventually worked my way up in exploring the internet. Now I am able to help other people understand the computer world. Everyday computers change and so do humans.

I found that there are some advantages when owning a tablet. The number one reason it is light and works like a phone (only with a bigger screen). Secondly you are able to have one on one video chats.

The only down side is that a dslr camera gives you more control when taking a picture. Yes a tablet and I-pad has many capabilities but a dslr only focus' on one feature. Most profound pictures have a great depth of field. A depth of field refers to the range of distance that appears acceptably sharp. It varies depending on camera type, aperture and focusing distance.

2 comments:

  1. My concern is with the rapid changes and decline in the use of SLR's technologies. Like computers, seems like every other year there is new and better SLR. More mega pixels, image stabilization, video and compact design has made me recently upgraded my older SLR. Yet, with the advancement of smartphones in cameras and easy conveniences like Instagram in todays' society, makes me rethink of investing in SLRs. It appears that point and shoot digital cameras like in smartphones has taken over in recent years. Nokia has a smartphone called Lumia that uses a remarkable 41 megapixels, revolutionizing smartphone camera use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tablets are becoming a big thing in schools. I see them all over the place where I work. They definitely have their academic purposes. Times are changing, which means we need to work with what the students use to make school more relevant to them. Usually if kids are given the chance to work on their tablet, they will do it in a heartbeat. For art, I like how you connected instagram with photography. That would be a great lesson to use on tablets or iPod touches.

    ReplyDelete